Learn how to knit stitches for beginners in 3 easy steps. In my close-up photo and video tutorial, you’ll see how to put on long ponytails. As such, most beginners prefer to put the yarn over a knitting needle to get ready for knitting.
You will love my simple demo where you can stitch to start knitting. We’ll start by tying a slip knot, then explore how to hold the yarn and finish with the first stitches. Yes, it takes a little patience. But once you get the hang of casting, you can start with the fun of knitting.
3 STEPS FOR KNITTING STITCHES FOR BEGINNERS WITH A LONG TAIL
Watch the full video tutorial below
STEP 1: Create a slip knot with yarn
Start by tying a slip knot and then insert your needle into this loop. This is a simple node that I detailed in my previous article here.
With the help of the slip knot, you can easily tighten the working yarn and release it from the loop by pulling it up. This way, the yarn will fit securely on the knitting needle.
STEP 2: Method of crushing the sling to hold yarn and knitting needle
- Hold the knitting needle in your right hand.
- Take your left hand and hold the yarn on the right side between two fingers.
- Then, take your other two fingers and hold the other tail of yarn next to your palm.
- Slip your thumb under the yarn and hold it.
- Finally, take your index finger with your right hand and just hold it by the seam. This helps to keep it in place as we continue to work.
Once you have the yarn in this configuration, you can continue.
Again, my full video tutorial below will be very helpful if these instructions are to turn your head, haha!
STEP 3: Overlap the first knitting stitch.
- Bring your knitting needle to the outside of the left side.
- Take yarn
- Passes right through
- Then it goes to the right side to the outside of the right yarn.
- Picks up yarn at the bottom.
- A piece of yarn goes through the thumb loop.
- Let everything go with your left hand
- Gather two yarns lightly.
Hooray, you put your knitting stitch on!